Sunday, March 10, 2013

Day 9 & 10: Spring Chicken

It was a lovely weekend but far too short and the "spring forward" time change offered nothing to help that.

Yesterday we trucked it to Brick Works for the Farmer's Market and Seedy Saturday.  The main objective was to hand out some handbills for a new project I'm working on (more on this to follow!) I bought a bunch of seeds and picked up some Food Share honey for a Braggot ale we're brewing this week.  We also grabbed some venison sausage for a future dinner!

In the evening, we went to a local joint for buck a shuck oysters before heading to the Queen Elizabeth Theater for the legendary Patti Smith.  The show ruled!

I'm in that stage (I remember it from last time) when I could easily forget to eat.  I woke up late this morning and grabbed a coffee from The Common and srom vegetables for juicing.  I juiced up a beet, cucumber, celery and carrots and had that for a late breakfast.  For lunch, I roasted a lovely bird.  A spring chicken! Cooking a bird is such a great and economical way to eat.  We get 3 decent meals out of one bird.  I stuffed it with lemon, basil, dill and parsley and shoved coconut oil under the skin to make it nice and crispy. I sprinkled lots of salt and pepper to finished it off and roasted it for about 40 minutes at 400 degrees.  We ate the legs with some broccolini when it was done.  For dinner, I pulled all the meal off the bird and used half to make lettuce wraps.  The bones and bits are in a pot with some vegetables making stock that I will turn into soup with the rest of the meat.  That will be lunch tomorrow. One bird = 3 meals!  Nothing is wasted.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment