Saturday, March 2, 2013

Day 2: Mindful Meals

It's only a few hours into Day 2.  I'm feeling much better today.  I woke up and tried to install a shelf in the kitchen--and FAILED.  J is on his way to Home Depot to get a proper-sized bit for the drill.  I think I need to upgrade the kitchen.  It's all grey and toupe and depressing.  I think a fresh coat of white paint would brighten it up so much!  I need a place I really want to hang, you know?

Last night, J got home late and woke me up.  I couldn't fall back asleep so I read a bit from Christiane Northrup's book Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom.  I was reading the chapter on the female energy systems and chakras.  The third chakra related to the abdomen, upper intestines, liver, gall bladder, lower esophagus, stomach, kidney, pancreas, adrenal grand, spleen and middle spine.  The mental or emotional issues that can affect this chakra include self-esteem and self-confidence or self respect, adequacy vs. inferiority relating to competence and skills in the outer world, substance abuse, etc. This is the personal power chakra.  I think it's very important to me to keep it in my mind.    

After failing at shelf building, I made a frittata with kale, mushrooms, parsley and walleye from my parents.  I also made smoothies with blueberries, coconut milk, blueberry juice, and frozen cranberries. Ok--a small cheat went in there too...a mostly green banana (we had an organic box mess-up and I don't want to waste!)

We sat down to eat and I reminded J about giving thanks.  He said something like, "thanks for this food we are about to eat.  Do you want to add anything?" I thanked the farmers.

It felt good and I think we may have eaten a little slower and more carefully.

Something else I am working on is not having any gadgets at the table.  No eating to TV or Instagram or Gmail.  I am 95% more aware of what I'm doing when I just eat.

When you eat, eat.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment